Restless leg syndrome can be so uncomfortable, and it can even keep you up at night. If you’re suffering from RLS and want to know how CBD can help, you’ve come to the right place! I’m going to walk you through what restless leg syndrome is and how CBD can help manage your symptoms. I’ll even share my top picks for the best CBD for restless leg syndrome based on their ease of use, price, and effectiveness. Ready? Let’s dive in!
Bottom Line Upfront
I’ve had good experience using CBD for my RLS. Because I tend to run a little on the hyper side, and my mind never seems to stop, I deal with RLS when I’m under stress. It usually only comes about when I’m asleep, but it was bothering my husband. So, I tried Spruce 750mg Lab Grade CBD Oil before I went to bed, and he says I slept like a baby. So, I’d highly recommend this one!
I’ll take the time to explain each product in detail further down in the article, but for now, feel free to take a look at them! If you’ve never experimented with CBD before, you can familiarize yourself with some of these.
- Best Overall: Spruce 750mg Lab Grade CBD Oil This high-quality CBD brand offers consumable CBD oil with a delicious peppermint flavor.
- Best for Relieving Mental Symptoms of RLS: Medterra Ultra Broad Spectrum CBD Oil With 1,000mg of CBD in this ingestible CBD oil, you’ll enjoy relaxation for hours. Unlike THC, CBD can’t intoxicate you, either.
- Best for Relieving Physical Symptoms of RLS: Elixinol Active Sports Gel CBD + Capsaicin & Arnica CBD, arnica, and capsaicin all work together to provide instant and long-lasting relief for your legs and feet.
- Best for Beginners: Smile CBD Pain Cream This CBD cream has a smaller dosage of 500mg per bottle. That’s perfect for beginners wanting to dip their toes into CBD waters!
Can CBD Help Treat Restless Leg Syndrome?
Yes, CBD can be an incredibly powerful, all-natural tool in treating your restless leg syndrome. CBD can help alleviate both the physical and mental strains that RLS causes.
Physically, CBD makes you feel more relaxed. This relaxes your muscles and helps your brain manage painful, unpleasant sensations. By applying CBD to your legs, you can target problem areas and experience hours-long pain relief.
Mentally, CBD helps with anxiety, insomnia, and depression. Restless leg syndrome has been known to cause all 3 of these.
What is Restless Leg Syndrome?
Restless leg syndrome, which is sometimes called Willis-Ekbom disease, is a condition that causes uncomfortable or painful tingling, crawling, itching, throbbing, or aching sensations in the legs and/or feet. People can experience temporary alleviation from the symptoms by moving their legs, which is where this condition gets its common name.
What Causes Restless Leg Syndrome?
Wouldn’t doctors like to know? Unfortunately, many patients’ restless leg syndromes have left medical professionals scratching their heads. A lot of the time, there isn’t a known cause for someone’s restless leg syndrome.
Middle-aged women are the most likely to develop RLS, but it can happen to anyone at any age. Some scientists have thrown around the idea that RLS is a result of dopamine imbalances in the brain, but so far, no one’s proved anything concrete or useful with that theory. People who have had kidney failure or an iron deficiency are more likely to develop RLS.
The Effects of Restless Legs
Typically, the symptoms of restless leg syndrome are worse in the evening and at night. After resting your legs for a long period of time, the sensation can become stronger. Usually, people with RLS will need to move their legs in order to get rid of some of the effects of the condition, such as:
- Periodic limb movement of sleep
- Crawling, itching, and electric-like sensations
- Painful aching and throbbing sensations
Remedies to Treat Restless Legs
There are many remedies for treating restless leg syndrome, even if there isn’t a cure. Since treatment is about reducing symptoms, both mental and physical, that opens up a world of possibilities. You can manage RLS by taking some of the following steps:
- Have a chat with your doctor about a treatment plan unique to your medical needs
- Invest in foot and leg massagers to use at home
- Try natural pain-relieving treatments such as CBD
- Let your legs and feet soak in a warm bath
- Use a foot wrap when you can
- Stop drinking heavily caffeinated drinks
Pros and Cons to Using CBD for Restless Leg Syndrome
Using CBD to treat restless leg syndrome is still a relatively new idea. Due to that, it’s only natural you want to weigh the pros and cons of using CBD as a treatment for your symptoms. If you’re still undecided, check through this list to see if CBD is the pain-reliever you’ve been looking for:
- Few people are allergic to hemp, which is the plant CBD is extracted from
- CBD can be ingested or applied topically
- CBD can help with anxiety, depression, and insomnia
- CBD can be used to relieve localized pain
- Instant and hours-long pain relief is provided
- CBD can make RLS symptoms less disruptive
- A small percentage of people will have an allergic reaction to hemp
- Some people require higher doses than others for CBD to work
- CBD doesn’t always taste good
Tips for Using CBD for Restless Leg Syndrome
In case you weren’t sure which type of CBD is best for how you want to treat RLS, I’ve made this short guide. CBD can be ingested, or it can be applied to the skin, so I’ve listed the advantages of both. After hearing what each can do, you’ll know which kind will work for managing your RLS.
CBD Meant to be Eaten
- Provides your entire body with a calming sensation
- Relieves depression, anxiety, and insomnia
- Offers mental relief from chronic pain
CBD Meant to be Applied
- Helps provide direct pain relief specifically to your legs and feet
- Pain relief should last for hours
- Often mixed with warming or cooling ingredients like turmeric or menthol
What to Look for When Buying CBD for Your Restless Legs
Not all CBD products are of the same quality. To help you spot high-quality CBD treatments that are going to alleviate symptoms of your restless leg syndrome, I’ve put together this quick guide. With a few pointers, you’ll be able to sift through top-shelf products from bottom-shelf ones.
Check to make sure that the brand you’re buying your CBD products from is reputable. A reputable brand will have 5-star reviews on their products. You can watch reviews of CBD products on YouTube to get a personal perspective on how they work, too.
There are tons of start-up CBD companies. Tons. This is good and bad. Good thing: There are tons of options to choose from when picking out the right type and brand of CBD for you. Bad thing: Not all companies are selling lab-tested products.
All the products I recommend on my list are lab-tested. When you’re searching for CBD to treat your RLS, make sure the product description says, “lab tested,” and the website can show you authentic certification.
Amount of CBD
Usually, you can buy CBD oil tinctures, balms, salves, and other products that contain a range of CBD that’s between 500mg and 3,000mg. That’s a big jump. Especially if you’re going to be consuming CBD, beginners should start with 500mg. If you need to increase your dosage after that, go from 500mg to 750mg and 750mg to 1,000mg.
Top CBD Choices for Restless Legs
Here they are! These are my top 4 best CBD choices for restless leg syndrome. There’s a mix of CBD products that can be ingested or applied to your skin directly. Check out each of these to find a favorite that works for your lifestyle!
Medterra Ultra Broad Spectrum CBD Oil
Best for: Relieving Mental Symptoms of RLS
This broad-spectrum CBD oil contains 1,000mg of CBD. This dosage is better for intermediate to experienced CBD users. Since this is a type of CBD that you ingest, it will help relieve the mental fatigue that comes along with RLS. This oil will help you relax and alleviate stress, anxiety, insomnia, and depression. Being an ultra broad-spectrum CBD, you’ll also get to enjoy the effects of CBG, CBN, CBC, and CBDV.
- Price Range: $60-$70
- Quantity/Volume: 1 fl. Oz.
- CBD Levels: 1,000mg
- Type: Ingestible CBD oil
- Perfect for relieving the mental strains of RLS
- Organic coconut carrier oil
- You can buy this oil in 3 flavors-citrus, strawberry mint, and unflavored
- This won’t work well as a treatment for alleviating localized pain
Spruce 750mg Lab Grade CBD Oil
Best for: Best Overall
When it comes to high-quality CBD oil, you can’t beat this oil by Spruce. Available in a delicious peppermint flavor, this CBD oil is meant to be taken orally. Not only is the CBD in this oil organic, but the carrier oil, hemp seed oil, is organic, too.
- Price Range: $85-$95
- Quantity/Volume: 1 fl. Oz.
- CBD Levels: 750mg
- Type: Ingestible CBD oil
- Relieves symptoms of anxiety, insomnia, and depression
- High-quality product perfect for intermediate CBD users
- Organic product with peppermint flavor
- No other flavors besides peppermint
Smile CBD Pain Cream
Best for: Beginners
If you’re new to using CBD, this pain-relieving cream that contains 500mg of CBD is perfect for you. By applying the cream to your skin, you’ll feel deep relief from the negative effects caused by RLS. Eucalyptus helps to provide a cooling sensation, which is wonderful on areas of the body that are in pain.
- Price Range: $40-$50
- Quantity/Volume: 3.4 oz.
- CBD Levels: 500mg
- Type: CBD Cream
- Topical treatment that’s perfect for targeting pain in specific areas
- Low dosage of CBD that’s great for beginners
- Eucalyptus provides a cooling sensation
- You have to subscribe to save money on your purchase
Elixinol Active Sports Gel CBD + Capsaicin & Arnica
Best for: Relieving Physical Symptoms of RLS
This CBD gel is another topical treatment that’s great for targeting pain in your legs and feet. The deeply hydrating formula isn’t greasy, so you’ll be moisturized without feeling sticky. With 1,000mg of CBD, this gel packs a punch. The gel offers a warming sensation, too, which is perfect for achy or throbbing muscles.
- Price Range: $45-$55
- Quantity/Volume: 3.4 oz.
- CBD Levels: 1,000mg
- Type: CBD gel
- Topical treatment perfect for intermediate to experienced CBD users
- Hydrating gel helps to nourish your skin
- Capsaicin and arnica provide similar benefits to CBD
- Won’t help with the mental symptoms of restless leg syndrome
Your most frequently asked questions about CBD and restless leg syndrome will be answered here! There isn’t a ton of official research that has been done on the effects of CBD in RLS patients. But, a few studies have shown CBD to help some RLS patients immensely.
Question: What is Your Body Lacking When You Have Restless Legs?
Answer: Sometimes, having an iron deficiency can cause RLS. Also note that RLS is more common in women, and iron deficiencies happen to be more common in women, too. Definitely schedule a chat with your doctor before taking iron supplements if you think this may be the cause of your RLS. Intaking too much iron can lead to an iron toxicity in the blood.
Question: What Foods Trigger Restless Leg Syndrome?
Answer: Anything high in caffeine can trigger restless leg syndrome. Coffee, energy drinks, and sugary sodas are all known to set off peoples’ RLS. Other unhealthy foods like fried foods, chocolate, and other sweets can make RLS worse, too.
Question: Does Drinking Water Help Restless Legs?
Answer: Yes, drinking water does help with restless leg syndrome! Drinking water keeps your body from becoming dehydrated. This is needed because dehydration can trigger your RLS symptoms. To keep your RLS from flaring up, make sure you’re intaking the recommended amount of water for your height and body weight each day!
Relax, Unwind, and Let Out a Deep Breath
Do you feel ready to unwind and relieve the symptoms of restless leg syndrome with the all-natural properties of CBD? CBD helps with not just the physical symptoms of RLS, but also the psychological ones such as depression, anxiety, and insomnia. Today, you got to learn about the best CBD products for restless leg syndrome that you can find online.
If you’re ready to jump in and give it a try, I’d highly recommend Spruce 750mg Lab Grade CBD Oil. It was easy to use, had great taste, wasn’t overwhelming, and worked like a charm.
You’re more informed about RLS and how CBD can help, too. Do you have any questions about CBD and RLS? Let me know in the comment section below! For more great information about CBD products, have a look at our list of the best CBD strains!
Read more about the benefits of CBD below:
How to Overcome Stress with CBD, Meditation, and Yoga